School Bus Safety Week
It is School Bus Safety Week for students in Chappaqua's elementary schools.
REMINDERS FOR PASSENGERS
- Always wear your seat belt!
- No changing seats at all!
- Make sure you are sitting in your assigned seats, with your feet and back packs in front of you and not in the aisle!
- Kindergarten students should be sitting up near the bus driver!
- No eating or drinking on the bus.
- All electronic devices must remain in your backpack at all times.
- Keep your hands and feet to yourselves at all times!
- Always use kind words toward each other to avoid hurt feelings.
- If you are upset about something remember to do your mindful breathing, look out the window, or read a book. Focus on making the right decision and behaving in a respectful way!
- 4th graders are reminded to set a good example for all students on the bus!
- If you have a problem or conflict on the bus, you are reminded to tell your bus driver and your school's Bus Safety Coordinator. It is also very important to talk to your parents about this problem!!!
- No climbing over the seats!
- When getting off the bus in the morning, dismiss row by row starting with the students in the front of the bus. No pushing!
REMINDERS FOR MOTORISTS
- Flashing yellow lights mean a bus is going to stop – SLOW DOWN!
- Flashing red lights mean students are getting on or off the bus – STOP!
♦ You must stop whether you are approaching the school bus from the front or the rear.
♦ You must always stop even on divided highways and school grounds.
- Students should always cross the street in front of the bus.
- It's illegal and very dangerous to pass a stopped school bus when the large red lights located on top of the bus are flashing.
- The first-time fine for illegally passing a school bus:
♦ A minimum of a $250 fine.
♦ 5 points on your license and/or possible 30 days in jail.