Roaring Brook School 2021 4th Grade Legacy Project
Forty-eight dynamic fourth graders brought to life various book genres to create a Story Walk Around The World to leave as their legacy for younger Roaring Brook School students. Our legacy students created a movie clip by narrating a book and generating a QR code that can be easily scanned with a smart device to bring to life the story. Students concluded each story with a piece of advice to a younger student from what they learned during their elementary school years.
The story books fall into one of these categories: Classics, Growth Mindset, Global Inspiration, Personal Growth, and Role Models. A total of sixty stories will be enjoyed by our RBS school community in the outdoor amphitheater.
What makes this area extra special for the RBS school community is that, on May 13, 2021, the space was dedicated to Dr. Ackerman, and she was presented with a plaque that reads:
"Our Roaring Brook Family Acknowledges and Gratefully gives thanks to the outstanding leadership of Chappaqua Central School District’s Superintendent Dr. Christine Ackerman for her dedication, courage and fortitude to keep schools open during the COVID-19 Global Pandemic of 2020-21. Our students, faculty, staff and community are truly grateful for her guidance and leadership in maintaining a standard of educational excellence. With grace and gratitude, we dedicate this literary collection to our leader."
A. Mason Bynum
- Roaring Brook PTA – Generosity and Support in making this project possible with special thanks to RB PTA Chair, Megan Gulotta and Co-Chair, Kristine Rothman.
- Chappaqua School Foundation - Elementary Classroom Library Diversification Project Grant received in 2020 for the inspiration of this project and Roaring Brook Media Specialist, Mrs. Eidem, for additional recommended story books.
- Teachers – supportive fourth grade teachers: Ms. Dorio, Ms. Fleming, Mrs. Mills & Mrs. Turshen and our inspiring teachers for their favorite classic children’s books from Mrs. Diskin, Mrs. Kandalaft, Mrs. Kiernan and Mrs. Smyth.
- Administration – Principal Tonya Wilson and Assistant Principal Ross Cooper for their unwavering support of the project.
- Custodial Staff – Mr. Ron Melito and custodial staff for preparation and installation of project.
- Project Leader – Ms. Diane Wendel for her creativity, commitment and dedication working with our students to make this legacy project possible.