Superintendent’s Update #37
March 15, 2022
Dear Chappaqua Central School District Families,
I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to share adjustments to our COVID procedures that were presented tonight at our Board of Education meeting. We are able to make these shifts based on our high vaccination rates and low COVID-19 positivity rates in our community.
Please take a moment to review these adjustments, which will become effective on Monday (3/21/22), as well as the COVID-19 procedures that will continue to remain in place until further notice.
Exposure Notifications - New Process
Starting 3/21/22, the District will notify individuals who may have been exposed to COVID-19 in school when three or more cases may be linked to a shared space. This procedure will allow us to support the adjustments outlined below.
Procedural Adjustments - Starting 3/21/22
- Social distancing restrictions will be lifted District-wide. Middle and high school parents who wish to have their child sit six feet from peers during instrumental music may contact their child’s teacher to make arrangements.
- Elementary and middle school lunch will allow students to sit together in the cafeteria. Elementary and middle school parents who wish to have their child sit six feet from peers during lunch may fill out this survey. Free lunch will continue for all students, and hot lunch will resume at the elementary schools as soon as possible.
- Field Trips will resume for all students.
- Large scale events where we anticipate max capacity will be held outdoors whenever possible (graduation, moving up ceremonies, middle school concerts) or have attendance restrictions if taking place indoors.
- School transportation will allow students to ride home on different buses with parent permission, and students will no longer need to sit in assigned seats.
- Hand dryers and water fountains will be reactivated in all schools.
COVID Procedures that Will Remain in Place (at this time):
- Daily screening (Operoo) will continue for unvaccinated students and staff.
- Weekly testing for unvaccinated student-athletes and staff via our Home Testing Program.
- Daily access to home tests at security vestibules for all students and staff.
- Test to stay procedures for exposed unvaccinated students and staff.
- Required COVID testing for symptomatic students and staff to return to school - please visit this link for more information.
- Medical clearance for student-athletes who test positive for COVID-19 after their school physical.
- Limited locker room use for middle and high school students.
- Snack procedures at the elementary schools to support masked students.
- Zoom access for students and staff who test positive for COVID and medically fragile students unable to be vaccinated.
- Guest limitations during the school day to reduce potential COVID-19 exposure.
- Individuals recovering from COVID-19 on days 6-10 will wear masks inside and while riding school transportation.
Together we have worked tirelessly to keep our schools open and our students safe. Should we have a rise in cases in the future, we will make the necessary adjustments based on updated guidance from the public health department, or after consultation with our medical director. Thank you for your continued support, understanding and partnership.
Christine Ackerman, PhD
Superintendent of Schools