Skip To Main Content

Our Schools

5090 - Student Residence

5090 - Student Residence

The Chappaqua School District shall provide a public education to all District residents between the ages of five and twenty-one who have not received a high school diploma and are entitled to attend school. A completed school registration and proof of residence are required before admittance is granted, and residence must be maintained and proof of residence may be requested throughout the student's career in the Chappaqua Schools. The Board of Education authorizes the Superintendent of Schools to make final determinations of residence in accordance with the applicable Education Law.

  1. Resident Student:
    A student shall be considered a resident student if one of the three following conditions, A through C listed below, is met. However, a student who lives in the District without his/her parent(s)/legal guardian(s) (to be referred to as "parent" hereafter) for the primary purpose of attending District schools shall be classified a non-resident.
  1. Student resides at a legal residence within the boundary of the District and the student's parent has the same legal residence.
  2. Student resides with a legal resident of the District who has legal custody of the student. If a student is under the care of a person residing in the District who has assumed total legal custody and control of a student ("custodian"), the parent shall complete a Parent Affidavit substantiating the surrender of the care, custody and control of the child and relinquishing custody of the child to the custodian. The Parent Affidavit must be signed and notarized. The District shall also ask the person with whom the child is living, the custodian, to complete a Custodial Affidavit substantiating the acceptance of the care, custody and control of the child living with him or her, which must be signed and notarized. In the alternative the custodian may provide to the District court documents indicating the transfer of custody and control from the parent to the custodian.
  3. Student claims to be an emancipated minor and maintains a legal residence within the District. Any student over the age of 16 and under the age of 18 who claims to be an emancipated minor shall provide documentation in the form of an Affidavit of Emancipation which includes the student's age, his/her means of support, and an explanation of the circumstances surrounding the student's relationship with his/her parent(s). Evidence that the student is receiving any support from a parent (except by a court order that also acknowledges the student's right to receive support as an emancipated minor) is also relevant in making a determination regarding emancipation. The District reserves the right to contact the parent of a student applying for status as an emancipated minor as part of its investigation of eligibility. In any case, proof of eligibility for public assistance as an emancipated minor may be sufficient to establish emancipation for purposes of school admission.
  • Requirements for Registration:  Completed Student Registration Form

Proof of Age

  • Acceptable forms of documentation include, but are not limited to, a birth certificate or baptismal certificate (including a foreign certified transcription of either certificate).  In the absence of these certificates, a passport (including a foreign passport) or other acceptable evidence of age.

Proof of Residency (three documents as follows): 

One of the following:

  • Deed to House or executed contract of sale
  • Lease (signed by both tenant and landlord)
  • Sworn or unsworn statement from the landlord, owner or tenant from whom the parent/guardian leases or shares property and copy of their tax bill or deed
  • Notarized affidavit from third parties that establish the parent’s/guardian’s physical presence in the District


Two of the following with the address of the service indicated: (issued within the last 30 days) 

  • Water Bill
  • Property Tax Bill
  • Telephone Bill (not cell phone)
  • Cable Bill
  • Con Ed or other gas/electric bill
  • Homeowners or Renters Insurance statement
  • Car Registration
  • Car Insurance
  • Valid driver's license or non-driver identification card

Attendance Zone
Students must attend the schools within the attendance zone where they reside.  If a student moves from one attendance zone to another attendance zone within the District during the school year, the student can complete the school year in the school in which he or she started the school year; provided that the District will not be responsible to provide transportation to such school.

  1. Non-resident Student:
    The District will only consider a student for non-resident status if s/he meets the requirements of one of the categories, A through C, listed below. A non-resident student will only be admitted if, in the opinion of the Board of Education, the following applies:
  • District facilities are adequate and there is sufficient space for accommodating a non-resident student.
  • Attendance by the student does not necessitate an increase in the size of the faculty or support staff;
  • No other substantial costs will accrue as a result of the student's attendance, as permitted by law.
  1. New Student whose Residence is Pending: 
    A student whose parent, in good faith, has contracted to purchase or build a primary residence in the District or has signed a rental agreement which certifies the establishment of a primary residence in the District, will be permitted to enroll in the appropriate school as a non-resident student upon submission of a lease or contract to the District's registration official. The registration official may request additional documentation if deemed necessary.
    The parent shall also submit a signed affidavit stating that s/he will provide the District with proof of residence within one hundred twenty (120) days of the student's enrollment as a non-resident. 
    Following the expiration of the one hundred twenty (120) day period, the student's enrollment shall be terminated if District residence has not been established in accordance with this policy.
  2. Student Whose Residence Status Has Changed: 
    A resident student who becomes a non-resident after the opening of the school year may be permitted to continue for the remainder of the semester in the school which s/he has been attending upon payment of non-resident tuition on a pro rata basis. Pro rata semester tuition may be waived if the student has attended as a resident throughout the first 10 weeks of said semester.

    A student whose parent or guardian has moved out of the school district during the first semester of the school year may complete the second semester of that school year upon prior payment of tuition for the second semester (one half of the annual tuition). No student may attend District schools as a non-resident student for more than two full or partial semesters.

    A student who has completed grades nine, ten and eleven at Horace Greeley High School and who moves out of the District thereafter, may complete an additional year as a tuition paying non-resident student. A parent may petition the Superintendent of Schools claiming financial hardship, in order to be granted permission for the student to attend the additional year as a non-resident student on a tuition-free or reduced tuition basis.
  3. Visiting Student: 
    A non-resident student may be admitted to attend Horace Greeley High School for grades nine through twelve without tuition when s/he resides with a District resident as part of a recognized international student exchange program, subject to the conditions set forth in this paragraph. Such admission requires appropriate documentation and the prior written approval of the Superintendent of Schools. A student may not attend for more than one year.

Except as provided for above, other non-resident students will not be admitted. Admission of homeless students and students in foster care shall be in accordance with federal and state law and regulations.

  1. Children of Non-Resident Chappaqua Teachers and Administrators:
    Children of non-resident teachers employed by the District before September 1, 1976, may be enrolled or continue their schooling without charge. Children of non-resident teachers and tenured administrators employed on or after that date may be enrolled under the terms and conditions set forth in an agreement between the Board and the Chappaqua Congress of Teachers dated June 24, 1992 or any subsequent agreement. This benefit is extended to allow non-tenured administrators who have had their children enrolled in the District while they have been tenured teachers to continue to enroll their children under terms of Article 37 of the Teachers' Contract providing that the service as tenured teacher and non-tenured administrator are contiguous. 
  1. Non-Resident Tuition:
    The tuition charged for a non-resident student shall be fixed each year utilizing the formula recommended for this purpose by the New York State Department of Education.

Payment for any non-resident tuition due for a semester or any portion of a semester shall be made in full in advance of the start of the semester or, in the case of admission in the middle of a semester, at the time of enrollment of the student. No student will be allowed to attend without the timely receipt of payment in full. 

  1. Transportation:
    Transportation of non-resident students shall not be the responsibility of the Chappaqua Central School District. Transportation of homeless students and students in foster care shall be in accordance with federal and state law and regulations. 
  1. Other Considerations:
    The District reserves the right to terminate any non-resident student's enrollment at any time for disciplinary reasons in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct, Policy 5030 and will return any unused pro-rata tuition payment. 

Adopted by Board of Education: November 13, 1961 

   •  July 5, 1977
   •  January 9, 1978
   •  June 14, 1982
   •  February 13, 1984
   •  March 9, 1993
   •  November 3, 1997
   •  July 11, 2006
   •  October 10, 2006
   •  October 14, 2008
   •  December 2, 2008
   •  November 19, 2014
   •  April 10, 2019

CROSS REFERENCE Policy 5030 Student Code of Conduct