Minutes April 20, 2021
CHAPPAQUA CENTRAL SCHOOL DISTRICT
BOARD OF EDUCATION
Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 9:00 AM
Via Zoom Videoconference
Presiding Officer: Victoria Bayard Tipp
Pledge of Allegiance: Holly McCall
Present: Board of Education
Victoria Bayard Tipp, President
Holly McCall, Vice President
Jane Kimmel Shepardson
Christine Ackerman, Superintendent of Schools
Liisa Elsner, District Clerk
President Tipp Called for a motion to open the meeting.
Motioned by Hilary Grasso to open the meeting at 9:03 am. Seconded by Holly McCall. Motion
1. Proposed Executive Session to discuss contract negotiations, subject to Board approval.
Motioned by Jane Kimmel Shepardson to adjourn into Executive Session at 9:04 am to discuss contract negotiations. Seconded by Hilary Grasso. Motion carried 5-0.
2. Reconvene public meeting.
Motioned by Holly McCall to reconvene the public meeting at 10:17 am. Seconded by Victoria Bayard Tipp. Motion carried 5-0.
3. WHEREAS, the Board of Cooperative Educational Services of Putnam/Northern Westchester County (thereinafter “BOCES”) has proposed its tentative administrative budget for the 2021-22 school year (July 1, 2021 through June 30, 2022).
NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that the BOCES tentative administrative budget for the 2021-22 school year in the amount of $9,866,988 be, and hereby is, approved by the Board of Education of the Chappaqua Central School District.
Motioned by Jane Kimmel Shepardson to approve Item 3 as stated above. Seconded by Holly McCall. Following a roll call vote the motion failed 0-5.
4. BE IT RESOLVED, that the Board of Education casts one vote for each of the two vacancies to be filled on the BOCES Board for two, three-year terms, from July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2024.
Motioned by Victoria Bayard Tipp to approve Item 4 as amended above. Seconded by Hilary Grasso. Motion failed 0-4 with Victoria Bayard Tipp abstaining.
Dr. Ackerman recommended Item 5 as stated below.
Mr. Michael Diamente, Teacher of Social Studies, Horace Greeley High School, effective June 30, 2021.
Ms. Katie Frattarola, Teacher of Special Education, Robert E. Bell Middle School, effective June 30, 2021.
Ms. Kathryn Mercury, Teacher of English as a New Language, Westorchard Elementary School, effective June 30, 2021.
Motioned by Holly McCall to approve Item 5 as stated above. Seconded by Jane Kimmel Shepardson. Motion carried 5-0.
6. BE IT RESOLVED, that the Board hereby ratifies the provisions of the Memorandum of Agreement executed by the negotiating teams for the District and the CSEA, Local 1000 AFSCME, AFL-CIO, Chappaqua CSD Unit No. 9226, Westchester County Local 860, dated April 5, 2021, and agree to incorporate the provisions of their 2018-2021 Collectively Negotiated Agreement into a three-year successor agreement, effective July 1, 2021 and terminating on June 30, 2024, and authorizes the expenditure of those moneys necessary to implement the provisions of the 2021-2024 CSEA Collectively Negotiated Agreement.
Motioned by Hilary Grasso to ratify Item 6 as stated above. Seconded by Holly McCall. Motion carried 5-0.
7. BE IT RESOLVED, that the Board of Education approves Bid Award Recommendation B2021-03: Construction Labor and Materials: General Construction to Empire Core Group LLC., at various rates, effective April 21, 2021 through April 20, 2022.
Motioned by Holly McCall to approve Item 7 as stated above. Seconded by Victoria Bayard Tipp. Motion carried 5-0.
8. BE IT RESOLVED, that the Board of Education approves the agreement with Stratagem Security, dated March 19, 2021, for 1) Hardwired doors (including elevator and handicapped door), 2) STEAM Center wireless doors, and 3) Wireless Infrastructure in the STEAM Center at Horace Greeley High School, in the amount of $65,952.04, and authorizes the Board President to execute the agreement.
Motioned by Jane Kimmel Shepardson to approve Item 8 as stated above. Seconded by Holly McCall. Motion carried 5-0.
9. Notice of Future Meetings
Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 7:30 pm
Budget Hearing/Chappaqua Library Budget Presentation
Horace Greeley High School – Auditorium
Tuesday, May 18, 2021, 7:00 am – 9:00 pm
School District Budget Vote & Election
Horace Greeley High School – Gymnasium
Motioned by Warren Messner to adjourn the meeting at 10:37 am. Seconded by Hilary Grasso. Motion carried 5-0.
District Clerk / Secretary to the Superintendent