Minutes April 1, 2020
CHAPPAQUA CENTRAL SCHOOL DISTRICT
BOARD OF EDUCATION
Wednesday, April 1, 2020, 5:15 PM
Horace Greeley High School - Academic Commons
Presiding Officer: Jane Kimmel Shepardson
Pledge of Allegiance: Holly McCall
Present: Board of Education
Jane Kimmel Shepardson, President
Holly McCall, Vice President
Christine Ackerman, Superintendent of Schools
John Chow, Assistant Superintendent for Business (via Zoom)
Adam Pease, Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum (via Zoom)
Tony Sinanis, Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources and Leadership Development (via Zoom)
Liisa Elsner, District Clerk (via Zoom)
1. Call the Meeting to Order at 5:15 pm
President Jane Kimmel Shepardson called for a motion to convene the public meeting at 5:21 pm.
Motioned by Victoria Tipp to convene the public meeting at 5:21 pm. Seconded by Holly McCall. Motion carried 5-0.
2. Proposed Executive Session, subject to Board approval.
Motioned by Jane Kimmel Shepardson to adjourn into Executive Session at 5:22 pm to discuss the employment history of a particular person, contracts, health & safety measures and to receive advice from counsel. Seconded by Victoria Tipp. Motion carried 5-0.
3. Reconvene public session at 7:30 p.m. at Horace Greeley High School – Academic Commons
President Jane Kimmel Shepardson called for a motion to reconvene the public meeting at 7:45 pm.
Motioned by Holly McCall to reconvene the public meeting at 7:45 pm. Seconded by Victoria Tipp. Motion carried 5-0.
4. President’s Report: President Shepardson gave the following comments:
- Thank you to community members for participating in the meeting via Zoom.
- She encouraged the community to continue to practice social distancing.
- Thank you to Administration, Faculty and Staff for their continued hard work on behalf of our students.
- Remote learning information for the “Spring Break” period will be going out shortly.
- Thank you to our first responders.
- A brief explanation for the purpose of this meeting – revisiting the 2020-21 Budget in light of the recent situation.
- The 2020 budget vote and election is delayed until at least June 1 and information will be disseminated to the community as soon as it is available.
- WPSBA is having weekly “town calls” for districts to share information on distance learning and other initiatives.
- Encouraging the community again to participate in the 2020 Census
2020-21 CCSD Potential Budget Adjustments - Dr. Ackerman and Mr. Chow presented the 2020-21 Budget with three different tiers of potential cuts.
5. Public Comment Period:
We welcome public comments, and in respect for each other's time, we ask that you limit your comments to three minutes. Board members may be contacted via email or phone. After the public comment period has been completed, Board members may have a discussion among themselves regarding comments presented. Please note that while in-person public comment is not possible at this time, you are encouraged to contact the Board by e-mail with any comments, at BoEducation@ccsd.ws.
Warren Messner motioned to allow an additional minute to a commenter. Seconded by Holly McCall. After discussion Mr. Messner amended his motion to limit public comment solely to 3 minutes per person until such time as Board meetings can be held in person. Seconded by Holly McCall. Motion carried 5-0.
6. Recommended Action: Other
WHEREAS in response to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Governor of the State of New York has called upon each public school district to assure that for the period commencing on
April 1, 2020 through April 14, 2020 all weekdays shall be designated as student remote instructional days consistent with the district’s continuity of learning plan; and
WHEREAS there has been a mandate placed upon New York State public school districts to continuously provide food services and childcare services in accordance with their plans as submitted to the New York State Education Depart in response to the COVID-19 pandemic;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the Board hereby modifies the adopted 2019-2020 School District Calendar by establishing the days of April 1 through April 14 as student remote instructional days, thereby changing April 6 through April 13 from Spring Recess days to student remote instructional days; and
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED in addition to implementing remote instructional days during each of the weekdays commencing on April 1, 2020 and through at least April 14, 2020 the District shall continue its childcare services and food services plan as submitted to the New York State Education Department, while awaiting further direction from New York State Government Officials.
Motioned by Hilary Grasso to approve Item 6. as stated above. Seconded by Holly McCall. Motion carried 5-0.
7. Notice of Future Meetings
Wednesday, April 15, 2020, 7:30 pm
Horace Greeley High School – Academic Commons
Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 8:00 am
PNW/BOCES Budget Vote and Election – All component districts meet
Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 7:30 pm
Budget Hearing/Chappaqua Public Library Budget Presentations
Horace Greeley High School – Academic Commons
Motioned by Victoria Tipp to adjourn the meeting at 10:26 pm. Seconded by Jane Kimmel Shepardson. Motion carried 5-0.
District Clerk / Secretary to the Superintendent